These finger licking drumsticks are so tender with a tinge of sweetness from the maple syrup and a subtle hint of spice from cumin. Served best with New Orleans Coleslaw. You can easily double or triple the quantity as everything goes into a bag to marinade and out on a tray to roast.
Nigella Lawson Buttermilk Roast Chicken
Ingredients (serve 6)
12 chicken drumsticks
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, bruised and skins removed
1 tablespoon crushed peppercorns
1 tablespoon sea salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a large freezer bag, and add the buttermilk and 1/4 cup of oil
- Add the bruised garlic cloves to the bag with the crushed peppercorns and salt.
- Sprinkle in the ground cumin and finally add the maple syrup, and then squish everything in the freezer bag around to mix the marinade and coat the chicken.
- Leave the buttermilk marinated chicken in the fridge ideally overnight or out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Take the chicken pieces out of the bag shaking off the excess marinade, and then arrange them in a roasting tin lined with foil.
- Drizzle over the 2 remaining tablespoons of oil, and then roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until brown, even scorched in parts, and juicily cooked through.
Note: You can roast a whole chicken but for easy eating and even browning, I used drumsticks. These drumsticks are good for picnic too.
'Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.'