Wednesday 25 September 2013

This Is To My Father's Glory



When I was young, my late mum used to pan fry stale bread dipped in egg and sugar mixture for the family. I loved it very much even though it was plain and oily. Little did I know it was her version of French toast. Now that I have my own children, I also do the same style of French toast for them, but with some modifications. I would usually add some milk to the egg mixture and pan fry with butter instead of vegetable oil which my mum used.. Sometimes I add a drop of vanilla extract, other times I add cream. My children too, love to have this for breakfast on the go or as tea time snack.




I have also prepared and served French toast with icing sugar,maple syrup, honey, fruit compote and bacon. All these are always done pan fried in foamy butter but never baked. Then comes the Pioneer Woman's baked french toast and she has changed my way of cooking French toast completely.



While I was preparing the ingredients for Ree's baked French toast, I realised it was like the way bread and butter pudding is done sans streusel. I added chopped walnuts and replaced raisins with cranberries in the streusel.
A good French toast has crisp edges and soft,creamy center. When eating, add a pat of butter and pour warm pure maple over it.  One good brand of pure maple syrup is MacDonald's (not the fast food restaurant ). I am also glad that I added chopped walnuts for the extra crunch and replaced extra raisins with cranberries.
This is really one scrumptious breakfast I just had and it was a breeze to make because everything was prepared the night before. When I got up this morning, I simply put in the oven and baked for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Baked French Toast or bread pudding, whatever you call it, can be eaten at anytime.  I know this is hard, but do eat in moderation if you are watching your waistline.


Cinnamon Rasin Baked French Toast
Pioneer Woman cooks
16 servings (4 servings)
Ingredients

1-1/2 loaf cinnamon raisin bread (Gardenia raisin loaf, 10 slices, cut into triangles)
butter, for greasing
8 whole eggs(2 eggs)
2 cups whole milk(1 cup)
1/2 cup heavy cream(1/4 cup)
1 cup sugar(1/8 cup)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon(1 tsp)
2 tablespoons vanilla extract(1/2 tsp)

Topping
1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces( salted, 1/4 stick, 28g)
1/2 cup flour(1/4 cup)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar(1/8 cup)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon(1/4 tsp)
1/4 teaspoon salt(pinch)
1/2 cup raisins(1/4 cup cranberries)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
softened butter, for serving
warm maple syrup, for serving

Method


  • Unwrap the loaves of bread, then overlap the slices in rows in a well buttered baking dish. ( I cut into triangles)
  • Whisk together the eggs, milk,cream,sugar,vanilla, and cinnamon, then pour the mixture evenly over all the pieces of bread, soaking the bread as much as possible.
Topping

  • Combine the butter,flour,brown sugar,cinnamon, and salt in a bowl and cut it all together with a pastry cutter.(rubbing method) Stir in the raisins(cranberries,walnuts).
  • Sprinkle the topping all over the casserole. Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate it for several hours or overnight.
Oven

  • When you're ready to bake the french toast, preheat the oven to 350F. Bake the french toast for 45 minutes to 1 hour for a softer texture, or longer a firmer, crisper texture. Cover with foil for the first 30 minute of baking, then remove it for the remaining baking time.( I baked covered for the frist 30 mins and uncovered for 40 mins).
  • Serve individual helpings with butter and warm syrup.





I am linking this to Cook Like A Star 'Pioneer Woman' hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids,
Yen of Eat Your Heart Out and Mich of Piece of Cake.

T





This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
John 15:8

11 comments:

  1. Lian, this is very yummy. Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that blue bowl too:D I love bread pudding but can't get enough stale bread to make some lol! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie, don't wait for stale bread. Fresh loaf is even better:D

      Delete
  3. I have to try this recipe whenever the kids had their raisin bread only for the 2 days..hope they got trick into finishing their leftover. Good idea (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they'll will finish this! Don't leave out any ingredients to get maximum taste!

      Delete
  4. Hi Lian,

    My grandmother used to cook French toast for me when I was little. To fulfill my usual request, she will buy unsliced bread... sliced it thickly and fried it the sweetness that I want. Sounds like the little extra things that you did to cook your gourmet-style French toast for your kids, isn't it?? Things that grandma and mums do... *sign*

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, not all the time. Cannot spoil them. Usually the old traditional way my mum used to cook for me.

      Delete
  5. This morning I served French toast to my kids but not in style like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lian, my mum used to cook French toast the same way your mum does too. Yours sound good, a tad more luxurious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lian,
    I have made this recipe of Ree's ages ago, and my kids like it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...