Buttah + Ree = Buttery.
These Pioneer Woman's Citrus Butter Cookies are delicious but sweet. They are not crunchy but melting soft. I baked these cookies because there are citrus zest in them. I love food that has citrus zest. These cookies are perfect for afternoon tea.
This recipe is found in her second cook book, Food From My Frontier and her website.
Citrus Butter Cookies
Food From My Frontier
4 Sticks salted butter, softened
1-1/2 cup sugar
2 whole large eggs, separated
4 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons orange, lemon and lime zest ( approx 1 tbsp each)
2 tablespoons orange, lemon and/or lime juice (2 tablespoons total)
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
2 tablespoons orange, lemon, and lime zest
juice of 1/2 lime
juice of 1/2 lemon
dash of salt
extra zest, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cream butter and sugar until combined. Add egg yolks and mix until combined (set whites aside for the icing.) Add the zest and the flour and mix until just combined, then add juice and mix until combined.
- Scoop out heaping teaspoons of dough, then roll them into balls between your hands. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 13 minutes. Remove from the oven and keep on the cookie sheet for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the pan with a spatula and allow to cool completely before icing.
To Make The Icing
- Combine 1 egg white with the rest of the icing ingredients. Whisk thoroughly until combined, adding either more powdered sugar or more juice until it reaches a pourable but still thick consistency.
- Drizzle the icing across the cookies in several lines, then do it again in the other direction.(used piping bag).
- Sprinkle with extra zest before the icing sets.
Note: I halved this recipe and got 38 cookies. Do not over baked the cookies. It should be pale in colour.
This is linked to Cook Like A Star 'Ree Drummond' hosted by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids,
A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Proverbs 31:10