Monday 23 September 2013

The One Who Receives Instructions



This is the family all time favourite pasta though it is categorized under cowgirl food in the Pioneer Woman website. This is one of the earliest pasta dish I took from Ree's.  It was an instant hit with the family especially with my two boys.  I was quite surprised they like the pasta so much that they asked me for the recipe and had cooked for themselves. What amazed me was the pasta has leeks and my sons are very picky vegetables eaters. They will only touch certain types of vegetables and definitely nothing from the leek family. The pancetta and leeks when fry together are very flavourful with the wine and cream. There should not be any runny cream sauce in this dish, it is suppose to coat the pasta.




I always buy Australian leeks( Chinese leek is different kind). Bacon is a good substitute for pancetta though it has a more smoky flavour. I also love Barilla brand pastas.

Pasta with Pancetta and Leeks
Pioneer woman cooks
serves 4

Ingredients
12 oz weight pasta, cooked Al dente
3 oz chopped Pancetta
3 whole leeks, sliced thin
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese, shaved

Method


  • Cook pasta and set aside. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
  • Saute chopped pancetta until rendered and it starts to brown. Add sliced leeks and cook for 8 minutes. When you add the leeks, you can also throw in a pat or two of butter if you want to. This'll give the dish some scrumptious flavor. I add it after the bacon is browned because I don't want the butter to brown.
  • After 8 to 10 minutes, pour in wine, then cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until reduced. Reduce heat to low, then pour in cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. 
  • Stir in Parmesan shavings. Toss in pasta, adding a little pasta water to thin as needed. Serve with shavings over the top.

Note: It is important to use suitable type of pasta for this dish, not spaghetti for sure. I cook this pasta so often that I do not follow the exact weight of every ingredients. Most times I do not add in shaved Parmesan cheese, but never leave out the butter.








This post is linked to Cook Like A Star 'Pioneer Woman' organised by Zoe, Baby Sumo and Mich





Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.  Galatians 6:6

17 comments:

  1. Hi Lian,

    You actually buy Australian leek more than the Chinese kind?

    Barilla brand pastas are great but I always buy the san remo ones. They are equally good.

    Yummy pasta! More Parmesan cheese for me, please.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, yes, I always buy Australian leeks which is not expensive here. Chinese leeks has a more pungent taste I think.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes Ivy, it is very good if you like cream based pasta.

      Delete
  3. A frequent lunch meal since I got a chance to taste of your cooking (: i leave out white wine n add broccoli, kids love it. Thanks thumb up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, glad your kids like it. Adding vegetables like broccoli is good for them, but don't leave out the leeks.

      Delete
  4. Hi Lian! Cream and ham/bacon combination is also a hit with my kids! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alvin, Bacon, ham and cream, kids love them all

      Delete
  5. I love all of Ree's pasta dish... and enjoy seeing many people cook them. This looks like another delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Might have to try making my own now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmm... Should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i hv pancetta at home and in fact i was looking at this recipe the other night...will see if i will cook this..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lian, I also use Barilla pasta at home. They made some of the best dried spaghetti I think. I used spaghetti for this recipe as I was cooking for my mum too, and that is the only pasta that she likes. Maybe I should try this again with pancetta.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...