You may have noticed that the typical popover recipe contains no baking powder, baking soda, or yeast to make the popovers rise. So, what makes them"pop over"?
Basic popovers are made with eggs,milk, and flour. The batter is thin enough to be pourable, but thick as whipping cream. The high proportion of liquid in the batter creates steam that causes the popovers to puff up. The egg protein causes the popover batter to stretch, hold the steam and solidify to form crusty walls. When spilt opens, it is hollow inside.
Preparation couldn't have been easier with a blender. Just a few seconds of whizzing the ingredients in the blender makes the batter silky smooth and free of lumps, so there's no need for straining. I am.using David Lebovitz's recipe, Sugar crusted popovers. I love these puffy golden delicious, crisp and buttery crust with a custard like interior.
Sugar Crusted Popovers
For the puffs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup (250ml) whole milk
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsps sugar
For the sugar coating
1 tsp ground cinnamon
60g melted butter
- Softened butter, for greasing the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Liberally grease a non-stick popover pan, or a muffin pan with 1/2 cup indentations, with softened butter.
- For the puffs, put the 2 tablespoons melted butter, eggs,milk, salt an sugar in a blender and blend for a few seconds.
- Add the flour and whiz for about 10 seconds,just until smooth.
- Divide the batter among the 9 greased molds, filling each 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the puffs are deep brown.
- Remove from the oven, wait a few minutes until cool enough to handle, then remove the popovers from the pans and set them on a cooling rack.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a medium bow. Thoroughly brush each popover all over with the 60g of melted butter, then dredge each puff generously in the sugar and cinnamon mixture to coat them completely. Let cool on the wire rack.
These popovers are best the day they're made. Leftovers can be stored in a container and snacked on the next day. You could freeze them too.
This post is linked to Bake Along 'Popovers' hosted by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, Lena from
Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4