I got to know Mary Berry from watching The Great British Bake Off. She is one of the judges in the baking contest. Mary Berry has written many cookbooks and this is my first time using her recipe. This is an easy one bowl cake mix and anyone who can hold a whisk can make this cake.
This cake is deliciously moist, with light fluffy texture. Slightly crumbly with a nice apple fragrance, it can be eaten as a morning coffee cake, or with vanilla ice cream as a dessert. This is definitely a keeper and good for lazy days baking. Cake is best served warm.
The Very Best Apple Dessert Cake
Bake in 20cm loose bottomed cake pan.
225g self-raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
225g caster sugar (200g)
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp almond extract
150g butter, melted
250g cooking apples, peeled cored (2 granny smith)
25g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan or 140C. Lightly grease a deep 20 cm loose bottomed cake tin.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs almond extract and melted butter into a bowl.Mix well until blended, then beat for a minute.
- Spread half this mixture in the prepared tin. Thickly slice the apples and lay on top of the mixture in the tin,piling mostly towards the centre. Using 2 dessert spoons, roughly spoon the remaining mixture over the apples. This is an awkward thing to do, but just make sure that the mixture covers the centre well as it will spread out in the oven.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/4 hours - 1 1/2 until golden and coming away from the sides of the tin.
Preparing ahead - Best made to serve warm but can be made the day before. And,once cooked and cold, you can wrap and freeze it for a maximum of 3 months.
Note: If making this cake again, I would cut my apples in chucks, and use at least 3 apples in this recipe.
This post is linked to LTU 'Apple' hosted by Kit from i-Lost in Austen. Event is organised by Zoe from
Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.