Christine Recipes has many kinds of breads using the tangzhong method. This method of bread making produces soft texture bread without any added chemicals. It also stays soft and fresh for a few days.
Who,besides myself is still using the tangzhong method?
This recipe yields two loaves.
Braided Raisin Walnut Bread
25gm bread flour, sifted
350gm bread flour
56gm whisked egg
7gm milk powder,optional
5 to 6 gm instant dried yeast
30g butter, room temperature
90gm dried raisins,
2 to 3 tbsp rum, optional
- Mix raisins with rum well. Cover and place at room temperature overnight.(skipped this step).
- Place walnuts in a pre-heated oven at 180C. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until hot enough but not brown. Remove from oven. Roughly chop into pieces or leave it if you want more chunky texture.
- Add all ingredients (except butter) into a bread maker, first the wet ingredients (milk, egg, tangzhong ), then followed by the dry ingredients (salt,sugar,milk powder,bread flour,yeast).(Note: I used to make a small well in the bread flour,then add the yeast into it).
- Select the "dough" mode (refer to the manual of your bread maker to select the kneading dough programme). When all ingredients come together, add in the butter. (If your bread maker doesn't have any alert function to remind you to add in fruits and nuts, just put in the raisins and nuts when the butter has been absorbed well.) Knead until the dough becomes elastic. Then let the dough complete the 1st round of proofing, about 40 mins,best tpe earlier for prodding is 28C,humidity 75%, until double in size.
- Transfer the dough to a clean floured surface. Deflate and divide into 6 equal portions. Knead into ball shapes. Cover with cling wrap, let rest for 15 mins at room temp.
- Roll out each portion of the dough by hand, one by one, into a long tube shape, about 24cm long.
- Use 3 portions to braid as follows: take the left dough to cross over the middle piece. Cover the right piece over to the middle. Repeat these steps until you reach the end. Pinch ends and tuck both ends underneath. Repeat the same process clingwrap and let proof for about 45 mins,until double in size.
- Brush whisked egg on top. Bake in a pre heated oven at 180C for about 30 to 35 minutes, until the loads are golden brown. Let the breads cool on a wire rack completely.
- Mix flour in water well without any lumps. Cook over medium low heat, stirring consistently with a wooden spoon, whisk or spatula to prevent burning and sticking while you cook along the way.
- The mixture becomes thicker and thicker. Once you notice some 'lines' appear in the mixture for every stir you make with the spoon. It's done. You get the tangzhong. Remove from heat.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1