Monday 14 April 2014

How Deep The Father's Love






I love purple sweet potato chiffon for its colour. When I first baked this chiffon years ago, I couldn't get the purplish pink. The batter turned greyish when I added the sweet potato purée into the beaten egg white. I tried another similar recipe that also has a picture of a beautiful purple chiffon. I carefully followed the recipe to the letter but again the cake turned out greyish.

I googled for the reasons and got the answer from Kirbie and Maameemoomoo.  I didn't know there was a secret ingredient not mentioned in the recipes that I have tried. It is lemon. The secret is to add in lemon juice! Now, why would anyone wants to share recipes and not reveal all.  Like Sherie, I am appalled by this act of selfishness.

Thanks to Kirbie and Sherie for sharing.




.

Purple Sweet Potato Chiffon
maameemoomoo

Ingredients

200g purple sweet potato (steam and mashed) (set aside about 2 tbsps small bits)
6 tbsp milk
(A)
6 egg yolks
40g brown sugar
pinch of salt
100ml/82 corn oil
5-6 tbsp water
(B)
170g cake flour
(C)8 egg whites
100g sugar


Method


  • Steam sweet potato,add milk to it and mashed till fine or blend it in a blender.
  • Mix all ingredients in (A) till well blended. Add in the mashed sweet potato and mix well. Sieve in (B) and mixed till smooth and lump-free. If batter is on the dry side, add a tablespoonful of water, spoon by spoon - some purple sweet potato can be quite dry.
  • Beat egg whites in (C)till stiff.
  • Add half portion of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture and mix well with a spatula.
  • Pour egg yolk mixture into the remaining white and mix till well-combined.
  • Pour batter into chiffon pan. Bang the cake pan a couple of times to release air bubbles in the batter.
  • Bake at 180C for 30 minutes or till cooked.
  • Invert the cake and cool it completely in the tin.
To make the batter pinkish

1 lemon

  • Mix 1/2 lemon the lemon juice in step 1 and another half in step 5.

This chiffon tastes better with frosting. I frosted with white chocolate ganache and it was simply delish.







White Chocolate Frosting

220g white chocolate
80ml cream
small pinch of salt
1/4 tsp vanilla essence

Heat up cream until it just starts to boil and then pour the hot cream over white chooclate. Let it sit for 30 seconds and then stir. If there are still lumps of white chocolate you can microwave it for 10 secs and stir it again until smooth. Leave it to cool in the fridge. When ready to use, beat with electric beater for 2 minutes.






Good Friday In My Heart

GOOD FRIDAY in my heart! Fear and afffright!
My thoughts are the disciples when they fled,
My words the words that priest and soldier said,
My deed the spear to desecrate the dead.
And day, Thy death therein, is changed to night.

Then Easter in my heart sends up the sun.
My thoughts are Mary, when she turned to see.
My words are Peter, answering, "lov"st thou Me?"
My deeds are all Thine own drawn close to Thee,
And night and day, since Thou dost rise, are one.

Mary Elizabeth Coleridge (1861-1907)








7 comments:

  1. It looks divine! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG ! The cake is so beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes one slice with a cup of latte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didnt know about the lemon juice..i did before a purple sweet potato chiffon long time ago, it did came out purple but a very light purple. yours indeed look pretty purple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Purple Sweet Potato Chiffon?? wow Lian you are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the purple color of your chiffon cake & thanks for sharing the secret ingredient . Lovely cake indeed ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...