Tuesday 11 February 2014

Give To The One Who Asks You





Parsley,sage,rosemary and thyme...refrain from the song Scarborough Fair by Simon and Garfunkel was playing in my head as I was preparing the marinade for this pork tenderloin. I love this song when I was teenager.. It was probably through this song that I first learnt the names of the herbs in the verse. I don't think I knew they are herbs and their uses then.




However, I am not using all the herbs in the song but the last two, which are rosemary and thyme. And LEMONS! Zest and juice. Dijon mustard and garlic are also added to the marinade, but the way I see it, lemons really, really bring out the best flavor in any dish.

This is a dish that requires minimal effort but produces great result. I am pleased the way the pork turned out, moist and flavourful. Pork tenderloin can be quite dry and most people shun to grill or roast the meat. This dish is a good alternative for my many relatives and friends who do not take beef and lamb.


Herb Marinated Pork
serves 6

Ingredients

1 lemon, zest grated
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 good olive oil
2 tableespoon minced garlic
11/2  tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoon Dijion mustard
kosher salt to taste
3 pork tenderloin (1 pound each, 454gms each)
freshly ground black pepper

Lemon and Thyme Jus
Recipe source: Own

1 cup chicken broth
1 clove minced shallot
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon roughly chopped thyme
black pepper to taste


Method

Herb Marinated Pork


  • Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, mustard, and 2 teaspoons salt in a sturdy 1 gallon resealable plastic bag. Add the pork tenderloins and turn to coat with the marinade. Squeeze out the air and seal the bag. Marinate the pork in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours but preferably overnight.
  • Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
  • Remove the tenderloins from the marinade and discard the marinade but leave the herbs that cling to the meat.
  • Sprinkle the tenderloins generously with salt and pepper.
  • Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large oven-proof saute pan over medium high heat. Sear the pork tenderloins on all sides until golden brown.
  • Place the saute pan in the oven and roast the tenderloins for 10 - 15 mins or until the meat registers 137 degrees at the thickest part.
  • Transfer the tenderloins to a platter and cover tightly with aluminium foil.
  • Allow to rest for 10 minutes./ Carve in 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices. The thickest part of the tenderloin will be quite pink (it's just fine) and the thinnest part will be well done.
  • Season with salt and pepper and serve warm or at room temperature with the juices that collect in the platter.

Lemon and Thyme Jus

  • In the same pan, add minced shallots in a pan and cook until softened. Stir in broth, thyme and accumulated juices, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of pan Simmer until sauce has reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat to low and whisk in butter. Off heat, stir in lemon juice and season pepper
  • Strain, serve, pouring sauce over pork slices.

Note: I cooked one portion of the recipe,  500g of pork tenderloin. This serves approximately 2-3 persons.
This is a versatile dish where you can cook for two or twenty. It can be served hot or cold. Good with leafy salads. Use a meat thermometer to check doneness.



For dessert, I made Fruity lemonade popsicles using freshly squeezed Meyer lemons.




Linking this post to Little Thumbs Up, 'LEMONS' hosted by Grace, life Can Be Simple. Organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy kids and Doreen from My little favourite DIY







Matthew 5:42
Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

8 comments:

  1. Lian, your pork tenderloin looks so so good with all the herbs and lemon. I can imagine how soft and tender it must be with the lemon juice marinade. I'm bookmarking this to make very very soon!! :) Your popsicles look so refreshing! I love it :) Thanks for participating in Little Thumbs Up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace, This is good. Son requested me to cook this dish again.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lian,

    I realise that Ina loves using lemon for her cooking and always cook very nice lemon dishes. Not need to taste your pork... I know that it must be very good :D

    Your very-lemony meal looks wonderful.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe. I love lemons in my cooking too!

      Delete
  3. The pork tenderloin looks really tender and juicy! I dn't think I've roasted pork tenderloin before, gotta try it one day. Like your popsicle too. Happy Valentine's Day!

    PS Regarding the question about instant yeast u left on my blog, I forgot to type in fresh or instant yeast can be used. As per other bake breads, the instant yeast can jus be reconstitured with warm water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yen. Will try the pita bread soon. Try this recipe too, pork is indeed very tender and juicy.

      Delete
  4. Wow Lian that's mouth watering alright. Wish I live nearby so I could just go over and have a piece..hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Boh Tong, I know you can cook too! I'm sure you can handle this easily;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...