This pot of Padang-Style Beef Rendang which I cooked recently is now one of my favourite home cooked food. The recipe is from Chef Wan, a famous TV chef in Malaysia. This is also the first time I am cooking Chef Wan's recipe. There is another recipe, Portuguese Baked Fish which I have also bookmarked.
I have cooked this dish twice because it is not that difficult to cook and is good. How good is this dish? Well, It is so good that I feel so proud and happy I can cook such delicious food!
Without further ado, let me share the recipe here.
Padang-Style Beef Rendang
Rendang Daging Padang
The Best Of Chef Wan
125ml vegetable oil
2 thsp coriander powder
2 tbsp Fennel powder
2 tbsp cumin powder
2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 kg beef, cut into thick slices(shin)
1 litre coconut milk extracted from 1 1/2 grated coconuts
1 litre water
Mixed spices (2 cardamon,2 cloves, 1 cinnamon,1 star anise)
125ml Tamarind juice from 2 tbsp tamarind pulp mixed with 125 ml water and strained
6 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
8 tbsp pounded roasted grated coconut (kerisik)
1 finely sliced tumeric leaf (kaffir leaf)
15 shallots, peeled
6 cloves garlic, peeled
2 cm ginger, peeled
3 cm tumeric, peeled
1 tbsp dried prawn paste (belachan)
30 dried chillies, soaked,seeded and drained
- Combine ingredients for spice paste in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Heat oil in a wok and saute the spice paste together with coriander, fennel, cumin and ground black pepper. (Add in the mixed spices).
- Put in the lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves and cook over low heat until fragrant.
- Add the beef and coconut milk, water and cook for 30 minutes?(2 hours) until beef is tender.
- When the gravy thickens, add tamarind juice,sugar and salt to taste and grated coconut(kerisik).
- Garnish with finely sliced tumeric leaves(kaffir leaf). Serve hot with rice.
Note: There were no instructions for the mixed spices, and there is also no way one can cook tender beef in 30 minutes
This fragrant beef rendang tastes even better the next day.
Linking this post to Cook-Your-Books organised by Joyce of Kitchen flavours.
We are all prepared and ready for camp this Wednesday 20th November!
Give Thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. Psalm 136:1