A very easy and relaxing way of cooking this dish. You don't need to have everything mise en place. Just prepare and cut, as you cook along. Follow the steps exactly in the video as Curtis Stone works his charm on you and you'll be fine.
I have cooked paella many times but never have it so easy. Moreover, it tastes so great. Usually, for easier eating, I use bite size boneless thigh but not this time. This dish serves 4 but there are only 3 in the family eating, and I have 3 large chicken drumsticks. The chicken drumsticks were cooked so crisp that I wish I could have more and the rice was cooked to near perfection, tender,moist and crisp round the edges. Move over, old paella recipes, make way for Curtis Stone's Chicken and Chorizo Paella!
Curtis Stone Feed Your Family
4 cups water
3 tsp salt
small pinch saffron threads
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pack chicken (3 large drumsticks)
1/2 medium brown onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small red capsicum, thinly sliced
2 cups medium grain rice (arborio rice)*
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tomato, seeded and cut into small dice
1 spring onion, thinly sliced
1/2 lemon, cut into wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan.
- In large saucepan, heat water and salt to a simmer, turn off heat and add saffron.
- Place large ovenproof frying pan or paella pan over high heat and add oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Once oil is hot, add chicken and brown on all sides, for about 5 mins. Remove chicken from pan, reduce heat to medium high and return pan to the heat.
- Cook onion, garlic and capsicum for 2 mins, or until softened. Add chorizo and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Stir in rice, then paprika, and cook for 2 mins, or until pan is dry and rice is coated with oil.
- Add warmed saffron water to the pan and stir to evenly combine. (note: sizzling sound) Add the chicken back to the pan, arranging in a single layer, evenly spaced and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Once pan comes to a full simmer, remove heat, sprinkle with tomato and season with salt and pepper(pepper only, taste before adding salt). Place in oven and cook, uncovered, for 25-30 mins, or until the rice and tender and chicken is cooked through. A sign of a good paella is crisp[ around the sides of the pan.
- Stand for a few mins before serving. Garnish with spring onion and lemon wedges.
* I would have used Australian calrose rice for this recipe but I have an opened box of arborio rice to clear.
This post is linked Cook Like A Star 'Curtis Stone'. Hosted by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids
Cast Your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved. Psalm 55:22