Have fun baking this cake and do not worry about how to spread the ganache smoothly. This is homemade! For a rich chocolate flavor, use the best cocoa powder and chocolate you can find.
Chocolate Banana Cake
Joy of Baking
2 cups (400g) granulated white sugar (370g)
1 3/4 cup(245g) all purpose flour
3/4 cup (75g) unsweetened cocoa powder (valrhona cocoa)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium sized, not finely mashed)
1 cup (240ml) warm water
1/2 cup(120ml) milk
1/2 cup[(120ml) corn oil
1 1/2 teaspooons vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
8 oz (227g) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces (valrhona 66%)
3/4 cup (180ml) whipping cream
1 tablespoon (14gms) unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 360F(180C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, (silicon paper) a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33cm) pan.(10 x 10 inch) Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar,flour,cocoa powder,baking powder,baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, water, milk, oil and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisks, until combined. You will notice that the batter is quite thin Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cooled, frost with the Ganache.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel, or heatproof bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. (can also be heated in the microwave). Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. (whipping cream and butter in a microwaveable bowl)
- Stir until smooth. When Ganache has completely cooled, beat until soft and fluffy (wire whisk). Then spread the frosting on top of the cake. Can garnish with dried banana chips (walnuts)
Play. Learn. Remember.Apply
Activity time! Nothing excites the children more than activity time in Sunday School. The children look forward to activity time like this simple homemade board game. They can play many rounds and not get tired of it. This is good for teaching.
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,rebuking,correcting and training in righteousness." 2 Timothy 3:16