Huevos Rancheros is a classic Mexican breakfast traditionally served with fried eggs on corn tortillas and top with hot chili and tomato sauce, refried beans( cooked mashed beans) and guacamole. As the breakfast dish became popular outside of Mexico, many variations are created with addition of non Mexican ingredients like sour cream, lettuce and cheddar cheese.
Today, I want to share with you my version of huevos rancheros. This version might not be authentically Mexican, but I am giving you this my thumbs up for a yummy and uncommon breakfast dish. (uncommon in Asia). This is also good for brunch or light meal. Provecho!
Huevos Rancheros with Pico de Gallo
1tortillas of your choice
15g shredded cheddar,
1 large tomatoes, seeded, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
1 avocado, diced
1 red onion,chopped
1 red chili, seeded,finely sliced
I tablespoon of roughly chopped coriander
1-2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt to taste
15g cheddar cheese to sprinkle
Coriander to garnish
Tabesco to serve
Pico de Gallo(Salsa Fresca)
- Mix tomatoes, red capsicum, avocado, chili,onions and coriander with lime juice. Add salt to taste. Do not over mix the ingredients or it will turn too mushy. Cover and chill in the fridge.
Note: I used red chilli to replace jalapenos
- Heat the tortilla on oiled pan until it turns lightly brown. Flip over the tortilla.
- Sprinkle some cheddar cheese over the tortilla and let it melt.
- Break eggs over the melted cheese, season with salt. When the egg white is slightly set, flip the tortilla over and let it cook for a few seconds.
- Slide the tortilla onto a serving plate, top with salsa fresca, coriander, cheese.
- Best serve with Tabasco sauce.
Note: If you like beans, get a can of black beans or Pinto beans. Cook and mash the beans, serve as spread on the tortillas or as side.
This post is linked to Little Thumbs Up 'Eggs' hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out,
Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? Luke 11:12
A loving earthly father will not give his child scorpion to eat if he asks for an egg. Therefore, the loving Heavenly Father will give the Holy Spirit to His children when they ask for it.